Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Backsliding

Yikes! The temperature is backsliding!

I snapped a photo yesterday of the unusual icicles created during our brief warmup.

I also noticed the snow is getting deep on the roof of our backyard storage shed.

We had another 4 or 5 inches of snow overnight, and it continued to snow lightly all day today. Steve did a little cleanup work outside, ran an errand and retreated to the basement. He's deeply involved in his winter projects down there. He painted all but one corner of the exterior walls last year, so he's now finishing that project.

He also cleared off the storage shelves, cleaned them thoroughly, and painted them.

I wish I had a photo of how they looked before he started, but the difference was remarkable. Then, he started stocking them with our pantry items.

That shot was taken when he was still in the process of stocking. Can you tell he worked in a grocery store when he was young? Nice and neat with all the labels facing forward - just the way we both like it! Next, it was time to restack some of the bins we have stored in the basement.

Steve is good at keeping himself busy. I'm thankful he's not a couch potato. Speaking of potatoes, yesterday was a perfect day to make a big pot of ham and potato soup. I think I've told you that we're "soup people."

When the cold wind is blowing, it's also a good day to get out the breadmaker.

Steve likes to get on a "healthier-eating" kick during the first part of every year, so we try to stay away from bread until the end of April (about the time of our birthdays). However, I wanted to make some bread for my mother, so we were still able to enjoy the heavenly scent.

I know what you're thinking. "Ham and potato soup on a healthy eating plan?" Portion control! We have a small bowl of soup with a spectacular salad. No seconds on the soup either. Steve pushes himself away from the table feeling happy and satisfied. If the meal is enjoyable, it's easy for him to eat healthier.

That's it for tonight. Goodbye to January. All is well in the cold and snowy Keweenaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.