Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Do Over!

Remember when you were kids? You would be playing a game with family or friends and someone's turn didn't go the way they had planned. They would shout, "Do over!" That was their way of begging everyone for grace so they could have another try. Well, I called for a Christmas "Do over!"

Yesterday was Christmas, and I awoke with a major migraine. I immediately took some medication, but I could tell it was going to be one of those headaches that wasn't going anywhere without beating me to a pulp first. No quick fix was in sight. The turkey was in the refrigerator, but that's where it was going to stay. I needed to spend the majority of the day in a horizontal position. Steve was incredibly kind and understanding (as usual) and Mom wasn't upset. She suffers migraines herself, so she knows I needed rest, darkness, and quiet. We all agreed on a "Do over." The meal could wait another day. 


This day started out much better. We all agreed to have our turkey and fixin's around 5:00 or 5:30 today - no pressure. Steve needed to run out to the property to do some more plowing anyway. I had a nice, relaxing morning of recovery and moseyed out to the kitchen around 1:30 to begin the turkey and dressing prep. I pulled the turkey out of the refrigerator and discovered it was frozen, frozen, frozen. Did I say frozen? What?! It has been in the refrigerator since last Friday and it's only 13.91 lbs. (Bah, humbug.) Well, I could do the turkey in cold water in the sink method of thawing, but that was still going to take considerable time. Too bad I didn't check the turkey first thing this morning, right? Do I throw it in the water now and have a really late dinner? I called Mom. I called Steve. We all agreed on another "Do over." The meal will wait one more day. I'll try again tomorrow. And. . . I will check the turkey first thing in the morning! No more do overs! 

I'm so thankful I have such a flexible and understanding family. Despite the unusual events with our meal this year, they both assured me that I didn't "ruin" Christmas. Christmas isn't a meal. It's all about love of family and friends and our Savior's love for us.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.