Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Post-4th: The Day After

We're busy, busy, busy in the Keweenaw, but I need to finish the last blog post about our 4th of July activities. Although the weather on the 4th was perfect, it was raining when we awoke on the morning of July 5th. 

No matter, as it wasn't really going to impact our plans for the day. I took my final shots of the view from our motel room.

We packed up the car and said "Goodbye" to room 25 for another year.

We drove through the intersection and headed up Hwy. 41.
 

It was Saturday morning and we were on a mission. Steve is a breakfast man, and we all really needed to try out the breakfast buffet at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge.

I remembered to bring my camera this time, but I neglected to change the setting for interior shots until I had snapped a few. Oops.



Here's the exterior of the lodge.

I turned around and took some scenic photos of the golf course from the Lodge parking lot. You can see Brockway Mountain in the background.


Check out these unusual flowers.

No, not the purple ones - these!

OK, time to go. We followed the winding driveway past the Lodge's rental cabins and turned back onto Hwy. 41.


We headed back toward Copper Harbor. . .

turned left in town. . .

and followed the coastline back toward Eagle Harbor.

I wanted to try the zoom on my new camera, so we drove down the Eagle Harbor Marina Road.
 

At the end of the Marina Road, you can see the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse across the harbor. I knew how small/blurry this shot was with my old camera, so I was happy to see that my new camera did a much better job!

Another quick photo of the restored Life-Saving Station. . .

and we made our way down the Eagle Harbor Road to our property. After all, Marty & Donna had not yet seen our gorgeous septic tank cover. . .

or our lovely septic field! 

We went inside the house and showed off our proper vents.

Do you see those cardboard pieces in the rafters? Those are the proper vents.

They're used to create an air channel between the spray foam insulation and the roof sheeting. The installation of these proper vents is very important, but very time consuming - especially when you have a lot of roof like we do.

Here's a couple more shots of the front porch/door area. We'll use cedar for the railings and to fatten up the support posts on the front porch - not sure when that will happen. The posts are definitely sturdy enough; they just look too skinny right now.

The underside of the porch roof will be paneled with wood, and I wrote about the light fixtures in a previous post (May 24). Feel free to suggest a front door color. I haven't settled on one yet. 

The last photos on the 5th were taken on the Calumet Waterworks Road. The horizon line in the background is Lake Superior.

Wait a minute. What's sticking out of the trunk of that car?

Yep, a lawnmower! Glad it stayed in the trunk while we were following him!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.