Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Tamaracks & LES

The Tamaracks - they are a-changin'.

We have 2 Tamarack trees in our Calumet backyard. You've seen them in many of my backyard photos, but I have more for you today.

Did you know that Tamarack means "wood used for snowshoes" in Algonquian? I just learned that little tidbit. Tamaracks have small cones (less than 1"), and they lose their needles in the fall.

Here's how they looked on August 7th - the 2 tall trees on the left.

This is October 15th.

October 21st:

Finally, this afternoon:

In other news, we have LES (lake effect snow) in the forecast - possibly 2-4 inches by morning. We've had a stray flurry here and there this month, but this could be our first measurable snow for the 2014-15 season. It's raining right now, but I'll let you know what happens.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.