Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Friday, August 7, 2015

Sneak Peek Friday - Antique Side Table

You may have/have not noticed the subject of today's sneak peek in other photos of our great room. It's another piece that belonged to my grandmother. 

It doesn't have much monetary value, but I love it nonetheless.

Things I love about it:  (1) The spindle legs.

(2) The shape of the top - even though the 3 pieces of wood the top is made from have separated a bit.

(3) The fact that I can see some green paint embedded in the grain of the wood. My mom painted the table when she was a girl, and her youngest brother stripped it and varnished it some years later. That makes it special to me.

(4) The height is just right next to the high arm of my old sofa - especially when you're reaching over that arm to put your coffee cup on the coaster every morning.

Now, let's move to the objects on the table. (These objects may change on a whim and without warning.) This lamp is one of a pair - a hand-me-down gift from a relative.

It's not actually dusty; it was finished in an aged patina.

You can see more of the faux dust on the base.

The coaster is stone and is part of a set that was also a hand-me-down gift from the same person.

The candy dish belonged to my grandmother. Again, it's not anything valuable, but I like the shape and pressed design.

Let's go to the shelf under the table.

We have a few old books - the bottom one belonged to my first mother-in-law, the mother of my first husband who passed away in 1989. She has gone on to heaven now, too, but I have her book from her high school cooking class. Even though the book was supposed to be about everyday cooking, the recipes and menu ideas are pretty strange - not exactly everyday cooking - at least not in my lifetime.

An old jug from Steve's farmhouse.

A copper lantern holding a candle and some Lake Superior stones. I got the lantern on clearance at Walmart in Saginaw several years before we moved to the U.P.

Finally, I have a small copper watering can holding some artificial flowers. The flower petals are made from shaved wood. I wish I could remember where I got it, but it was in the Saginaw area somewhere quite a few years ago.

That's it. No more peeking today!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.