Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

My 9-Year-Old Mother

I think most of us find it difficult to imagine our parents as children. We just can't relate to them in that context. My grandmother spent many, many hours of her life sewing or doing some type of needlework, but neither my mother nor my Aunt Edie ever enjoyed doing the same. My grandmother did teach them how to do those things when they were children, however, and it was interesting to find a few of my mother's early projects when we cleaned out my grandma's house - including this piece.

It's a small tablecloth that I have hanging on my antique washstand in the laundry room. Mom said it was her first "big" project, and she did it when she was about 9 years old. The needlework is very neat - even on the reverse side.

But, if you'll notice, it's not centered perfectly on the pointed corner of the tablecloth. In order for the pattern to hang straight, I have to fold it a little off point (if that makes sense).

I presumed the pattern was stamped incorrectly by the manufacturer, but Mom said she actually ironed the pattern onto the tablecloth. In her mind as a child, it was perfectly centered. As an adult, she can now see that it wasn't and found that amusing.

Still. . . I think it's pretty perfect for age 9, and I'm happy to have this piece from my mother's childhood. . . so I can try to imagine her ironing and stitching as a little girl.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.