Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Furry Polar Wreath Ornaments

Time for my favorite Christmas craft project!

When I was browsing the Internet a few months ago, I came across some photos of small wreaths made by wrapping yarn around the lids/rings from canning jars. I've seen this project in the past, but the thought for a unique spin on it occurred to me that day. I knew I had seen some of this type of yarn at Walmart.

Yep, that would certainly kick it up a notch. So, on the next trip to Walmart, I grabbed 2 skeins of yarn and the box of 12 canning jar lids & seals. I already told you how I used the seals on my Leaping for Joy ornaments, but I actually used the lids/rings first.


I chose the color called "Polar."

I also purchased a roll of taupe ribbon with a little sheen to it.

The process is so easy and fast. You just leave a few inches on one end and wrap the yarn around the lid.

Continue wrapping until the yarn is completely around the lid and tie the 2 loose ends together. The yarn is so furry that you can't see the knot. The 2 skeins made 12 wreaths.

At this point, you could add a bow and a ribbon for hanging.

I chose to leave mine very simple so as not to detract from all its furry goodness.

I just looped the taupe ribbon through the wreath for hanging - making a simple knot on top - no bow.

These furry polar wreaths gave our large Christmas tree in the great room (dubbed the Keweenaw Tree) just the oomph it needed. (Can't you just imagine how great and wintery this yarn would looked wrapped around a large wreath form and used as decor for the rest of the winter? Looks like I may have to go back to Walmart!)

And. . . from a distance, the wreaths resemble snowballs. That's pretty appropriate for the Keweenaw!

All is well in the Keweenaw.

In addition to some of the link parties in the left column of this blog, this post was also shared at:

All Things Christmas DIY Linky Party @ Crafts a la mode
and
Jann Olson's Share Your Cup #224

9 comments:

  1. SWEET!!!! I might have to make some of these. Thanks for joining the Christmas DIY Linky Party. Best wishes, Linda @Crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how fluffy it looks. I'll be making a few jar lid ornaments this year and will be trying the yarn wrap look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This ornament is precious! I love anything with white fur!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the yarn. The fuzzy wreaths are so cute!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie! These are the most adorable! I want to make these! I'm going to an ornament exchange this year and this would be so simple but perfect! Thanks for the idea!

    Thanks so much for sharing and linking up at Dishing It & Digging It! Can't wait to see more of your creativity next week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.