Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Friday, April 1, 2016

Sneak Peek Friday - Rattan Rope Pendant

The staircase going from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor is U-shaped. This is the light fixture we purchased to hang above the landing.

Here's how the fixture has looked for well over a year - except for the construction dust. I got rid of that shortly after I moved in.

Steve wanted to finish the upstairs before trimming the wire & chain and installing the glass globe, as he didn't want to bump it with ladders, scaffolding, etc. Once he was done with all that stuff 2 weeks ago, he finally finished the light fixture. First, he shortened the wire & the chain.

He then installed the rope-covered glass globe.

When we flipped the switch, we immediately noticed that the globe was dirty. It had been in a plastic bag inside the box all this time, but there was an oily film on the glass - probably from the factory. Steve took it down and I tried my best to clean the spaces between the rope, but it looked even worse after we turned on the light. OK, back down again. I decided to try a new approach. I sprayed it with a generous amount of Windex, rinsed it under hot water in the bathtub and let it air dry on a towel. I put it back up the next day and flipped the switch again. 

Worked like a charm! Nice and clean! I'm going to get a clear bulb for it the next time we're in Houghton, though.

In closing, we're thinking about and remembering Steve's son, Allen, as today would have been his 29th birthday. He's been in heaven for 8-1/2 years, but we'll never stop missing him and look forward to the day we'll be reunited.

All is well in the Keweenaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!
Comments are moderated to maintain a spam-free, family-friendly blog.